City Hall in Miramar
Miramar City Hall
Welcome sign in Miramar, Florida

Named after an exclusive neighborhood in Havana, Cuba, Miramar was incorporated on May 26, 1955. The city was founded by one A.L. Mailman who bought the land from H.D. Perry in 1953, built 56 inexpensive concrete-and-flat-roof houses on it and then sold them all. His intent was to form a purely bedroom community for nearby Miami and Fort Lauderdale. Miramar had the foresight to develop a Comprehensive Land Use Plan in 1972 and stick with it. To this day, less than 1/3 of the available land within the town's boundaries has been developed.