City Hall in Coral Springs
Coral Springs City Hall

Despite the name, there are no springs in Coral Springs. The city was incorporated in July, 1963. The land had been part of Henry Lyons holdings and after it had been drained and cleared, he used it to grow beans. He died in 1952 and his heirs turned the property into a cattle ranch. Then came Coral Ridge Properties. They bought 3,869 acres of the cattle ranch for $1 million in December of 1961 and chartered the City of Coral Springs in July of 1963. Growth was such that Coral Ridge Properties bought another 6,000 acres of land from the cattle ranch and added that to the city in 1965. Coral Springs reached residential build-out in 2003 and has been close to commercial build-out for years now.