A typical scene in Indialantic
Indian River Lagoon from Indialantic
Welcome sign for Indialantic

The name "Indialantic" is composed from the names of the water bodies on both sides: Indian River Lagoon and the Atlantic Ocean. And the full official name is "Indialantic-by-the-Sea."

The Indialantic area has no defining theme beyond being a string of parallel developments along the beach and lagoon. The town itself is a 1 mile by 1 mile square, also a grouping of developments. Today's population is not much different than the population when the town was first officially incorporated around 1970.

The first beach hotel, the Indialantic hotel, was built in the early 1920's, shortly after the wooden bridge was built connecting the barrier island to the mainland at Melbourne. By 1924 the Indialantic Casino was in operation. A new owner took over in the late 1920's and changed the name to the Bahama Beach Club. Today that site is known as Nance Park.